Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index Box Elder Wildlife Federation
Sports Supporting Conservation, Registration required for entry, please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Dots and Steel Sights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Practical Shooters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldBear
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Red Dots and Steel Sights Reply with quote

Always shot open sights, pistol, revolver and rifle, all my life. That's because (except for 'scopes) we didn't have the fancy red-dots and laser beams available today.

I started having fun over at the Cache Valley Center (Monday and Tuesday nights) a month ago or so. Started out with open sights on my Ruger-II and decided that red dots was the way to go because everyone else was using them.

Not sure that was a good idea. Mostly because it's harder for me to "find" the red dot down the tube. Just a matter of doing it enough times that it comes up natuarally. So anyway got a red dot for the Ruger and although it's fine for accuracy it still is hard for me to find the dot so that costs me a lot of time, usually on the first shot.

Got another piece, a Browning Buckmark that had a red dot on it, and was not so happy with it either for the same reason. So tonight after cleaning it I took off the red dot and rail and put the iron sights back on. Will try it next time I get a chance to burn powder, and see if it doesn't feel a little more comfortable on sight aquisition.

I place a higher value on accuracy than speed, within reason of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Practical Shooters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: