Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index Box Elder Wildlife Federation
Sports Supporting Conservation, Registration required for entry, please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.45 ACP Accuracy Load

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Everything Reloading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldBear
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: .45 ACP Accuracy Load Reply with quote

Loading 200gr cast SWC for the .45 ACP and just wondering if Chuck or someone has a favorite FPS for accuracy. My book says for the "lighter" bullets that 700 - 800 PFS is a good one. Anyone have a favorite for combat range from 1-25yds on timed targets? Question

Edit: Saturday 29th: Loaded a half-dozen at 750fps, had Al test them and he believed they felt good and cycled the action firmly without slamming the mechanism unduly. So will load up a box at the same 750fps and test them maybe monday. Will post the results.
chuckshoun
Wilderness Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: .45 Auto accuracy Reply with quote

I've been recently shooting Laser-Cast 200 SWC with 4 gr Bullseye, F-150 primers, OAL 1.260. It seems to give me good groups (5" at 45 feet Off-hand), but I do get flyers. I donty know whether it's my sloppy loading, or possibly air in the bullet. The flyers are not in the "shooter goof" areas. The Laser-Cast doesn't leave any lead deposits in my bore, but I treat the bore with TetraGun Lubricant every 500 rounds - scrub the bejabbers out of a patch soaked in the stuff until the barrel gets warm, then do it again. Then use a dry patch. First few shots group large, but the pistol settles down and does a good job (if I watch my trigger control).
chuckshoun
Wilderness Guide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Even a better load for 45ACP Reply with quote

I have settled on 230 grain Winchester FMJ bullets, 4.7 grains of Bullseye, and whatever primers are available (preferably Federal LPP). One hand standing, with plenty of dry practice, will hold a 5.5-inch group or amaller very well with the Kimber Gold Match II 45ACP at 50 feet. I wish I had good eyes like I used to, but age has a way of causing one to modify one's shooting standards.
The only thing I don't like is that Bullseye is a dirty powder, and more than a Boresnake is needed to get rid of the crud.
bigkid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

185 gr cast and 5 gr of WW 231. I have has 25 yd groups of 1 large hole using just a sand bag for a rest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Everything Reloading All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: