Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index Box Elder Wildlife Federation
Sports Supporting Conservation, Registration required for entry, please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zeroing my 45 ACP Pistol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Tales, tall and short
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckshoun
Wilderness Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Zeroing my 45 ACP Pistol Reply with quote

I decided that I would zero my 45 ACP Target Pistol because that's what you do with a Target Pistol. Well, bullseye pistol competition is shot at 50 yards slow fire and 25 yards timed and rapid fire. (No pistol range distances like that at the Mantua Range). So, I set up my stuff on the 75 yard range and proceeded to "zero my new 45 ACP Target Pistol". Well, to my amazement, the ballistic program's amazement and that of folks on other forums, the elevation setting for the 50-yard distance was lower than the elevation setting for the 25 yard setting. This happened with two kinds of bullets, LSWC and RN. While I was cleaning my 45 ACP Target Pistol today, and reflecting on the success I had today on getting a true and reliable"off-hand" zero at 50 yards with the 230 grain RN handloads, I came to the conclusion that my emphasis on grip and stiffness of wrist was more on my mind than previous 50 yard zero attempts.
So, guys, if you want to shoot any pistol at a distance greater than the pistol range at Mantua, better brush up heavily on the "one hand only" basics of pistol shooting -- especially the grip and stiff wrist portion.
Last week I fired some Remington Commercial 230 RN (mv=831 FPS) at the 25 and 50 yards. Yes, I drop 5 clicks from 25 yards to 50 yards. And, the impacts were in the 5 1/2 inch black at 25 yds (2 10's, 1 X), and the 8 inch black at 50 yds. Beats the bejabbers out of me. Must be the air quality at Mantua. I made sure on the grip, and benched the same settings before firing one-handed. Same elevation, maybe a click or so difference in windage.
OldBear
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Recoil Rise? Reply with quote

Maybe a slight amount of recoil rise, barely noticible at 25yds, increases at 50yds? Beats me. My 44mag 300gr "bear loads" hit higher at longer distances than do the "regular" rounds; probably a result of allowing more recoil rise before the heavier, slower, projectile clears the muzzle.
The max-load 300gr HP's hit consistently one inch higher at 50yds than do the 200gr rnsp.
Beats me...... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Box Elder Wildlife Federation Forum Index -> Tales, tall and short All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: